Thursday, June 17, 2010

MAN OF THE HOUR GOES TO:ANDREW RAMROOP OF MAURICE SEDWELL


Well ,first started off,everyone one knows how i love tailored clothing,savile row,and italian tailoring.A couple of months ago a friend sent me a link to a documentary called "savile row". I was so intrigue but the doc that i have download all four parts of it and have watched it numerals of times.when i first read up on Mr.Ramroop, it really got to me,because here's a man, a black man at that who profess in his life that he would be a tailor on Londons' Savile Row, which was a district of all white tailors.Right then i seen a reflection of myself.i always told myself that my company will be bigger than the ralph lauren's and the brooks brothers, because my God is a God of extraordinary achievements.So, yes I am so happy to have the opportunity, to present to you Mr Andrew Ramroop. He has made history by becoming the first black man to own a business in the formerly all-white Savile Row. "From as early as I can remember, I wanted to create clothes, and at the age of seven I made my first pair of tiny "pants" as we called them in Trinidad, as the Americans call trousers."-Mr.Ramroop.
By the age of 11, he was hanging around the local tailor's shop in his holidays, and they took him on as an apprentice before he was 14, and then when he was 17 he was on the ship sailing for Southampton. During this meteoric development of his career, he had proved an apt and willing student, so that when he arrived in London , by then 18, he was taken on by well-known Huntsman. He enrolled for a full 3-year course at the London College of Fashion to cover all aspects of bespoke tailoring. "It came at a time when I was working for Maurice Sedwell and it was a great temptation in terms of finance and other benefits. By 1988, he had bought the tailoring business of Maurice Sedwell, becoming the first black business owner on Savile Row.  To address the shortage of high class tailoring skills, Andrew’s latest venture is the creation of the Savile Row Academy, a sustainable learning establishment formalising the training Andrew has established at Maurice Sedwell Ltd - website: http://www.savilerowtailor.com/index.html.Famously, he also designed the cashmere jacket worn by Princess Diana in her Panorama interview.


info from various websites

No comments:

Post a Comment